Uyo Diaries: Back pain, referee nightmare and reconnecting with friends

Andrew Randa in action against Indo Rockets All Stars


I need a massage.


I truly need one. So yesterday, my team, Swan Selected played a friendly game in Uyo against Indo Rocket and friends.


Despite going 2-0 up in the first half, we capitulated and lost 5-3 even though I have to add that the centre referee was a pain in the ass, to be honest.


I came in just after half-time and I want to believe I did pretty well. 


I got elbowed around my midriff during the game and even though I did not feel much of it, as I type this, I am in severe pain.


Not the result we wanted



But how did I get here?


Well, except if you do not like football or live under a rock, you will know Nigeria has a World Cup qualifier against South Africa in Uyo and as usual, I had to find my way there.


This time, I am doing stuff for afrik-foot.com, my new home. Check out some of my works with them here, here and  here.


Getting to Uyo was difficult as flights to the beautiful city came at I premium. I have not done a long road trip to the South in almost a decade and with my body ageing, it was not an option.


Afrik Foot came up with something, so off I went.


Air Peace movement



I elected to go through Port-Harcout because it was cheaper and it was an opportunity to link up with my PH crew led by veteran journalist China Acheru.


By the way, the artwork for his new book is out.  Check here for more details.


I had to make the trip to Port-Harcourt to board my Air Peace flight which was one of my best domestic flights and was picked up by my G, Victor Sarpong a.k.a Ghanaman.


We then drove to pick China up from his office and went home to chill. I love PH and to be honest I will always love to come back and spend time here.


The next day, plans went well as China and Ghanaman arranged for the Rivers State SWAN Bus to convey us to Uyo.


I wanna thank Cyril Dum Wite for the privilege of allowing me to hitch a ride with them.


We got to Uyo on Thursday, dropped Chairman Cyril at his hotel and proceeded to find our hotel.

Faith Oluchi, who was in charge of the logistics almost made a mess of the trip but thank God for technology. 


We had to use Google Maps to find it.


After we freshened up and then went to the stadium where I met many friends like my Swan Selected crew and my darling, my baby Ekikere Udofia whom I had not seen for about two years.


We hugged like long-lost lovers but then I had to dress up for the game. Tobi Adepoju and I decided to start from the bench so we could observe the game.


Incredible debut by Amobi Ezeaku.



Amobi Ezeaku, who was making his debut scored for us and then Sulaiman Pooja Adebayo added another.


The second half was a maze. The centre referee went haywire with some weird decisions and even though I would not say we did as good as the first half, he played a huge role in our loss.


Swan Selected. June 6, 2024. Uyo.



But we move.


After the game, we headed out to the Nest of Champions just in time for Bafana Bafana training and I was able to get some content .content there.


Indo, who sponsored our friendly game had planned to take us to his resort for post-game refreshments.


The highlight of my trip to the resort was the way I became a politician while thanking our hosts.


That became a topic for me to be ‘dragged’.


I no fit laugh.


I had fun but cannot say the same for my Swan Selected members as some did not even get to it.


On our way back to the hotel, I had to ‘subsidise’ their hunger and get them light refreshments. Make una no vex.


I had reports to fill up so I was up until past midnight.


Today is game day.


China Acheru mooted our breakfast idea and we worked around it. We all had bread, tea and fried egg.


It went well and helped me feel better because I had not eaten since the previous afternoon.





Wait, did I mention we stopped over in some village on the way to Uyo and my gang - China, Jessica, Faith, Okey, Femi, Sanipe (our Pilot) got down the bus and bought pork meat and fresh palm wine? Did I?


I digress.


Today is Friday, game day and we hope the Super Eagles will make us proud but my back and ribs are a mess.


I am in sifia pains.


Dis Football Sef

Comments

  1. Nice one sir. Hope the pain has reduced. That pork meat and plamwine always hits differently. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shehu Abdullahi joins Al Qadsia

Keshi picks 23 for Malawi clash